Re: Quake is GPL

On Tue, 28 Dec, 1999 à 03:23:25AM +0800, Mike Markley wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 26, 1999 at 01:56:00PM +0100, Christian Kurz wrote:
> > > I've tried to be nice in this discussion.  I'm no longer trying.
> >
> > > I WILL NOT CRIPPLE MY QUAKE PACKAGES TO SATISFY THE STUPIDITY INHERENT IN
> > > THE LAWS OF EXACTLY TWO COUNTRIES IN THE ENTIRE WORLD THAT I KNOW OF.  I
> > > CONSIDER THE LAWS THEMSELVES CENSORSHIP AT THEIR CORE AND THEREFORE
> > > MORALLY REPREHENSIBLE.
> >
> > > Is that perhaps a little clearer?
> >
> > I never said that someone should cripple a package. Stop assuming things
> > that I don't say. And also I'm not talking about censorship. I'm just
> > reminding you that some FTP-Maintainer may stand half in jail because
> > they don't have the  f****ng time to go through the whole debian archive
> > for excluding every software that's illegal in their country. We should
> > provide them with a possible solution for excluding such a software,
> > because you can change a government in one day or because some people
> > think they are more important.
> >
> > Ciao
> >      Christian
> >
> > P.S.: I wonder what you would do if you are such a maintainer who could
> > be with half an leg in jail.
>
> My $0.02:
> Yes, it's a pain for the FTP maintainer to have to figure out what packages
> he can legally mirror. But you take on some responsibilities when you become
> an FTP maintainer, just as when you become a package maintainer. What you're
> asking would be to require all Debian developers to be legal experts
> and know how legal their packages are in every location in the world.
> Otherwise, any system of indicating what packages are illegal where would
> fail. For all intents and purposes, such a system is impossible. If you
> don't have the time or the inclination to make sure that you're in
> compliance with the laws of the government under whose rule you reside, then
> as much as I hate to say it, that's your problem. If you can't handle the
> responsibilities of being a <fill in the blank>, then you have no business
> being one. The same can be said for anything. No offense to you intended,
> of course.

I would be *very* interested to hear your opinion about the existence of
non-us. The U.S. are the only state to prohibit the mirroring of these
packages (yes, *even* in France they can be mirrored : we can not crypt
messages but that's an other silly point). So if we make an exception for
one country on a bunch of packages, we could equally make an exception for
two countries concerning one package.

I don't like these kind of restriction but a non-brazil and a non-germany
aren't sillier than non-us. If this allows debian to be mirrored in these
countries, I think it's a way to go.

--
 ( >-   Laurent PICOULEAU                                      -< )
 /~\       lcrpic@a2points.com                                  /~\