Re: Java 1.2 fails to run.

Hi David,

I am running slink also.  I wouldn't say "straight slink" as I
have done MANY apt-get(s) for packages that put other packages
on etc., too many for me to keep track of, so I don't...

I got the 1.2 JDK running a few weeks ago, but after some reading
I got the impression the pre-release #1 (March) was what to install
on a slink system.  I haven't played with it in about a week, but
I think I needed to specify the path on either the appletviewer
or the javac compiler.  I would try it right now, but I archived
the tree to a Zip Disk at the moment.  Things did work as expected,
the few examples I played with all worked OK.

If you don't get to the root of your problem, or get some assistance,
I can restore my java tree and perform some tests for you.  Again,
I remember reading about the different pre-releases, and at the time
decided that release #1 was what I wanted.  You may want to check
out the pages at blackdown...

Hope this helps a little.

I have a stock Slink system running on a K6 350 100 MHZ MB 128 MB
RAM, 8G ide drive, SiS 6326 8MB video. I have jdk1.1 deb package
installed.  I need jdk1.2

I downloaded jdk1.2.2 r3 from blackdown, untarred it in /usr/local.

I set the path per install instructions from blackdown:

export PATH=/usr/bin/jdk1.2.2/bin:$PATH

Attemtping to run java from here fails:

java
or
cd /usr/local/jdk1.2.2/bin
#./java

each result in the following errors:

./java: /bin/realpath: No such file or directory
./java: /bin/realpath: No such file or directory
java was not found in /bin/i386/native_threads/java

Someone, please help me determine what I need to do
to make jkd 1.2 run.

--David