Re: E commerce stuff for linux?

aphro wrote:

> i want to know what people reccomend for an e commerce package for
> linux(free or not)  something thats stable, secure, and runs on debian 2.1
> :)
>
> nate
MiniVend and Minimate may be exactly what you are looking for; if you
have some skills in database managemant including SQL, perl programming,
html scripting, and a lot of cgi knowledge and PHP3 are also VERY
helpful. With these skills and about 6 months of learning and intense
effort you could master the usage and implementation of a MiniVend
e-Commerce center. They are all free and they work as well as
advertised--even exceeds in my opinion ALL of the commercial systems
available for use with a GNU/Linux system and most of the shopping
systems available for other OS. I also reccommend installation of WebMin
and the ShopAdmin modules for WebMin as additional tools to help manage
the system. The latest Stable release is rock solid but I would avoid
the alpha version unless you want to be extremely frustrated. It's
difficult to know when you have screwed up something if the software is
buggy! I have been working from a point of zero skills in all of the
above area except html for about 18 months and now have a completely
customized running test site. I expect to go online about the middle of
Jan. with our complete retail operation. 130,000 items for sale. These
folks also all maintain VERY helpful mailing lists. Good Luck!