Re: pppd died

Corel or pure Debian, pppd daemon dying unexpectedly also happened to me a
lot. It didn't matter if I used pppconfig-pon-poff or something like kppp,
it's the daemon that died, not the config program. The one thing I found
out was that pppd requested an authentication from the provider, despite
the 'noauth' line in /etc/ppp/peers/providerX. The only thing that helped
was to comment the line 'auth' in /etc/ppp/options although that was not
recommended according to the note above that particular line.

I can connect now, but it is still so flaky that you can hardly call it
reliable. I apt-got some packaged yesterday, but after a while pppd died
again and refused to work afterwards.

Here in Holland we have free access ISPs like Zonnet, Wanadoo, Freeler,
etc. which are - I suspect -  Windows based. I never had any trouble with
my Unix based ISP in Taiwan and I'm going to switch to a Unix based ISP in
Holland in the new year. These free services are very restricted in that
you can't even get your mail from Zonnet if you are dialed in with Wanadoo.

I suspect therefore that there are also other nagging features that might
wreck havoc with a Unix based system. What I don't know yet, I'm only a
newbie playing around with a Potato system build from scratch. -- Hans