Re: Sharing a modem via network

Phil Brutsche <pbrutsch@creighton.edu> writes:

> You would literally be putting the modem in the server, and configuring
> that for connecting to your ISP.  Then you need to set up the server to
> use IP masquerading; this is the Linux equivalent of NAT.  Once all done,
> you simply tell the workstation that the server is it's default gateway;
> the server takes care of the rest.

Oh, gosh... I guess I wasn't clear enough. I am not interested in
doing NAT or Masquerading -- I'm on a cable modem, and have NAT
already set up.

What I was looking for is my workstation being able to use server's
modem to do stuff like faxing and dialing out to a BBS. Can I set up a
comm port on one machine, but so that it would be actually using comm
port of another? Like permanent comm port tunnelling or something of
that sort?

Thanks!
--
Arcady Genkin                                http://wgaf.dyndns.org
"'What good is my pity? Is not the pity the cross upon which he who