Re: APC UPS (Back-UPS Pro 650)

On Tue, 21 Dec 1999 14:32:55 -0800 (PST), aphro wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, Ralf G. R. Bergs wrote:
>
>rabe >I don't know which cable we got -- since I've set up the machine
remotely.
>rabe >I've never seen it... :-)
>
>If powerchute can't communicate with the ups then u got the wrong cable,
>this happened to me, i had 1 out of 4(or 5?) ups programs that support
>"smart" mode work, the rest did not.

I'm not yet using powerchute, but anyway: apcupsd CAN communicate with the
ups. I can read out the model and settings, I can read the current status
info, etc. BUT apcupsd doesn't shut off the ups when the battery level drops
under the spec'd minimum level. (It cost us some hard work to at least get
it to shut the Linux box down.)

>i was suprised to see that the cables were so different, my back ups pro
>was brand new(boxed) and yet it came with a cable that only appeared to
>work with windows.  even more odd is that powerchute for win* worked fine
>through VMWare in linux..on the grey cable..i wish i understood what was
>different(and why its different) between their *nix and win* programs.

This is also our observation. Windoze works fine, apcupsd doesn't. :-(

--
Sign the EU petition against SPAM:          L I N U X       .~.
http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/        The  Choice      /V\