Re: es1370 installs but doesn't work

    CB>  I'm trying to get a sb128 to work.  At startup, whether
    CB> compiled in or as a module, I get es1370: version v0.24 time
    CB> 19:13:34 Dec 20 1999 es1370: found adapter at io 0xdc00 irq 11
    CB> es1370: features: joystick off, line in, mic impedance 0

That looks about right.

    CB> crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 6 Dec 20 18:13 /dev/sndstat
    CB>
    CB> but then,
    CB>
    CB> # cat /dev/sndstat
    CB>
    CB> cat: /dev/sndstat: No such device

that happens on my system too, but why are you trying to do this ?

    CB> The Sound-HOWTO doesn't really have a lot of information to help
    CB> here, and I don't really understand how devices work very well.
    CB> I'm really at a loss.  Can anyone point me towards relevant
    CB> documentation?

I haven't read the Sound-HOWTO so I don't know what steps are mentioned
in there.

To get the SB PCI128 to work, I compiled in support for the es1370 into
the kernel. Then I added myself (non-root) to the "audio" group, and
that was all. After that, I was able to play Audio CDs and mp3s.

The only strange thing I remember having to do was to give "o+r"
permissions to the CDROM device which appears as /dev/hdc so that
non-root users could play Audio CDs.

Other than that, the SB PCI128 was a breeze to setup (using the kernel
drivers).

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com