Re: Can one keep networks apart on a machine?

In <19991219134204.A25293@linux.indtech.edu>, on 12/19/99
   at 01:42 PM, Marcin Kurc <siemce@linux.indtech.edu> said:

[...]
>But let's get to the point. I understand that you have Windows box and Linux
>box, you could install wingate on Windows box and put another network card
>in it. This way you could have local ip on your linux box (192.168.1.2) and
>being routed through windows box (192.168.1.1) to the real IP.

OK, but I need to remain OFF of the outside network.  (The reason for the
issue stems from my upgrading to 2.2.12 once, and not seeing the IP bug that
nearly blew away the rest of the system (broadcast packets... I'm on a
token-ring system, but other parts are ethernet.  I know understand the
difference between the two.  :).  That debacle has cost me Linux access and a
rancid note in my personnel file.  Don't ask why it took nearly 2 weeks to
realize the source of the problem.)

Would what you are suggesting allow me to keep the two Apart--meaning no way
for Linux to see the outsdie world?  I am looking for a way to get the Win
machine to act as a kind of junction between the two worlds, with the
potential of using the Win box as my local source for Internet material
(including .deb updates...).  Can the two interfaces be made blind of one
another?

Or does this seem too kludgy?

Kenward
Kenward Vaughan                           .'^~;,_
Professor of Chemistry                    ':,'~~~~~
Bakersfield College                       \;:/
1801 Panorama Drive                       |,;|
Bakersfield, CA  93305                   / ', \
661-395-4243                            / o  O \
kvaughan@bc.cc.ca.us  (work)           (oOoOOoOo)
kaynjay@igalaxy.net   (home)         ---========---