dpkg install errors

heya

I've just been trying to upgrade all my slink stuff to potato and dpkg has
been complaining about a pile of files that it can't overwrite because
they're "also in package <insert here>". It currently seems silly to me as
to why a file present in two different packages simultaneously should completely
prevent the package's intstallation so would someone be able to enlighten me
as to why this is the case or what is actually happening here?

The offending packages were:
bash_2.03-2_i386.deb
gnome-bin_1.0.54-1_i386.deb
gnome-admin_1.0.3-1_i386.deb
gnome-session_1.0.54-2_i386.deb
gnome-core_1.0.54-2_i386.deb

Here is a sample output from dpkg:
Preparing to replace gnome-core 0.30-2 (using gnome-core_1.0.54-2_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement gnome-core ...
dpkg: error processing gnome-core_1.0.54-2_i386.deb (--install):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/session-properties', which is also in package gnome-session

from

da Bobstopper