Re: problems with debian mirrors

    JG>  Which version of APT are you using? I tried your proxy with
    JG> 0.3.15 and it works fine. I actually fixed an error like you got
    JG> (Bad header line) some time ago.

My version of apt:

@phoenix:[/home/ssahmed] apt-get -v
apt 0.3.15 for i386 compiled on Dec  4 1999  23:53:32

Maybe my /etc/apt/apt.conf is incorrect. This is the line I added for
the http_proxy setting, after reading "man apt.conf":

APT::Acquire::http::Proxy "http://cache01.tor.pathcom.com:80/";;

I also tried "setenv HTTP_PROXY http://cache01.tor.pathcom.com:80/"; in
the same xterm just to make sure I didn't get it wrong in apt.conf.

But since apt didn't complain, I figured apt.conf was correct.

    JG>  Well, since all the web traffic is going through a single
    JG> machine and not a high speed router you will see that machine
    JG> saturate if their usage is too great - note it only effect HTTP
    JG> on port 80.

Actually, I have noticed that ftp downloads are maxing out at 3.1-3.3K/s
as well.

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com