Re: problems with debian mirrors

On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, Salman Ahmed wrote:

> I pointed netscape to the URL you mentioned and it reports REMOTE_ADDR
> as being 209.250.153.18, so I guess I am being proxied. So what you are
> saying is that my ISP's provider is proxying their connections ? Is that
> the general idea ?

rameau{jgg}~/apt/build#host 209.250.153.18
Name: cache01.tor.pathcom.com
Address: 209.250.153.18

Considering your ISP is called pathcom.com I'd say their Tech support is
telling falsehoods to you, but that's just a guess :> traceroute it and
see if it leaves their network.

Regrettably their proxy server refuses to give up its name to me so I
can't tell you who makes it.

If you set http_proxy to http://cache01.tor.pathcom.com:80/ then APT might
have better luck dealing with it.

How it works is they have a router that intercepts all traffic on port 80
and directs it to that machine, you can't advoid it. Typically this is
used to reduce bandwidth through forced caching, but it is starting to
become a means of content control too I've heard..

Jason