RE: Is there a AWT package for Debian?

AWT is actually a standard part of the Java libraries. It should be under
the jre directory if you installed the blackdown vm (which is also available
as a .deb package through dselect though it is an older version). Use find
to look for files that have awt in their name-- and I am sure you will find
all of the *.class files. after that it should be  matter of just import
awt.java.* and you should be all set.