How do I correctly set up an ntp server?

I've been wrestling with this one for a while now. I was using xntp3 from
slink, but I've compiled ntp from potato and used that. The machine is a
server for a small network on a single dialup line.

My problem is that my ntp server is at stratum 16, precision -17, and my
workstations refuse to syncronise to it. i've looked over the ntp
documentation, and the only option listed having to do with stratum only
works with hardware clocks on the `127.127.x.x' pseudo-addresses ntp uses.

Oh, and it was working for a while at first, then mysteriously stopped
working, without (AFAICT) my changing anything on either client or server.

-- Ferret no baka