still trying to login root after install

During installation, I used vc2 to change the root password (among
other things) before vc1 got to do its song & dance (there were network
issues, and I didn't wnat it starting until the network was properly
configured).

This has left my system in a state such that everything works, but that
it presumes root on vc1, and asks only for a password.  This wouldn't
be so bad, since I only use X, but it also presumes root on telnet.

How do I tell it to stop doing this? (root does not get the first time
song & dance, which apparently also clears this behavior).

rick

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
                                               hawk@hawkins.cba.uni.edu