Re: Can XF86_SVGA do 1280x1024?

Hi,

fwiw, maybe the problem is not (only) modeline related ...

>>>Fethi Okyar wrote:
 > Phil Brutsche wrote:
 >
 > > A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far way, someone said...

 > > > I'm running version 3.3.2.2-4 of xserver-svga

We had no problem with this.  You mentioned that the card has
4MB.  So make sure you use at most 24 bpp.

	 8bit=1byte x 1280 x 1024 = 1.28MB
	24bit=3byte x ..          = 3.84MB

but 32 bit need more that 4MB.  FYI: In 24 bit mode we got some strange
side effects (1 year ago):

	o netscape icons are B&W (Home,Print etc.)
	o kwm (in kde 1.1) showed 'lightings' while moving windows
	o NT terminal manager refused to work with 24 bpp screen (32bbp
	  are okay)

We first worked around this by using 1152x864 at 32bit.
This is the biggest resol. in 32bpp that fit into 4mb.
(Because the people here are used to 1280x1024 they complained. We found
out that add 4MB to the matrox card was more expensive than a new
Riva TNT.  Guess what we did :)

Achim

					-- reddy@lion.austin.ibm.com