Re: Can XF86_SVGA do 1280x1024?

> I have a 17" that can do 1280x1024 @ 60Hz, and a Matrox Millenium II
> /w 4 MB.

Ok

> I could do 1280x1024 in windows, but X does not like it. I use
> 1024x768 which is ok but I need more space.
>
> The problem is related with the server isn't it?

Not at all - I'm using XF86_SVGA with my Matrox G200 and have it at
1280x1024 - I've had it up to 1600x1200.

> I don't know why there is no dedicated server for these cards
> (Matrox), and we have to use the SVGA. I would imagine that a
> dedicated server would make better use of my video card.

The didicated server is the SVGA server - the name is just misleading.

> Can I get around this problem by adding a couple of customized
> ModeLine entries, or by obtaining a newer version of the server?

First thing is check the refresh settings for the monitor - Windows and
XFree may not be using the same settings.  Checking the modelines would be
good as well.

Using a newer XFree server wouldn't hurt.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein