Re: Modem does not work

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Pedro Quaresma de Almeida wrote:

> >Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 15:30:16 GMT
> >From: Pedro Quaresma de Almeida <quaresma@mat.uc.pt>
> >CC: phil.dyer@mindspring.com, debian-user@lists.debian.org
> >
> >>Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 11:33:23 -0800 (PST)
> >>From: ferret@phonewave.net
> >>
> >>On Sat, 11 Dec 1999, dyer wrote:
[snip]
> I have compiled the 2.3.31 Kernel and now I have
>
> $ cat /proc/pci

>     Communication controller: Rockwell International HCF 56k V90 FaxModem (rev 1).
>       IRQ 10.
>       Master Capable.  Latency=64.
>       Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe9000000 [0xe900ffff].
>       I/O at 0xe800 [0xe807].
>
> This means (Rockwell International HCF) that I have bought another
> Winmodem ??? :(

Basically. I'm not sure what all the codes mean, but in general Rockwell
chipset==winmodem.

(going from memory here) I think there are two types of PCI winmodems -
those that run the DSP code in a vxd under windows, and those that upload
a firmware image into memory on the modem itself. The second could easily
be supported by a kernel-mode or user-mode firmware uploader *if* the
chipset vendor and/or modem vendor would release protocol info and a
firmware image. Likely the protocol info would be in the chipset's
specification.

And now I make a semi-educated guess:
HSP==Host Signal Processor (classical winmodem)
HCF==Host-Controlled Firmware (hardware modem that requires a firmware
upload)

Last I looked, I don't think either of these are defined or explained on
Grommit's winmodem page. Could someone correct or verify what I just said?

-- Ferret no baka