installing replacement binary of a runnging program?

What happens if I try to update a package, which contains a command,
which is currently in use and running?
Under normal circumstances the file which holds the command is kept open
and locked during the time the command is running and hence couldn't be
changed or overwritten. So if I try to install an update for - let's
say - the bash, which of course is running, I expect that the /bin/bash
file wouldn't be updated, because it is locked.
Am I wrong, what is the truth?

Olaf Rogalsky

--
                                  \\|//