RE: What good is a 486?

>===== Original Message From "Anthony 'Evil Twin'" <mullen@CES.ACES.UIUC.EDU>
=====
>I have a Compaq Prolinea 466.  I haven't figured out the processor speed
>yet.  But there's 16MB of memory, a 400-odd MB hard drive.  And a 3-1/2"
>floppy.
>
>My 5-year old nephew has some educational games that can run on Windows
>3.1.
>
>Would it be worth it for me to install Linux on the machine to run his
>games?  I'd have to get a CDRom, sound card and speakers.  What would I
>need installed on the machine?  Could I make it easy enough for a 5-year
>old to start it up and shut it down?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Tony -
>
>--
>Evil Twin -                                                     one_spike

I had a similar box that I gave to my 9-year old nephew. I tried to install
Linux on it, but with the lousy display it had and the lack of drive space
&tc, I just gave up and returned it back to Win95. However, it did have a
larger hard drive than what the BIOS or Windows would recognize (by about
125MB or so), so I went ahead and partitioned that last bit and installed a
minimal Debian system on the "extra" drive space, Just In Case....