Re: promiscuous mode for Eth0

hi there,

> > It means that that interface is receiving all packets on the network
> > segment. Useful for packet sniffers. It's a bad thing if a cracker has
> > initiated it.
> That is what I thought.  Is there a way to keep a cracker from doing this?

The only person who can put the ethernet device into promisc. mode is root,
if root is not comprised, people will not be able to switch the ethernet
card over to this mode.

Also remember that promisc. mode is only for ethernet cards. If you don't
let anyone put a machine onto the network that could be doing naughty
promisc. listening, then you should be fine. (ie. physically protect your
network).

Regards,

Marc-Adrian Napoli
Connect Infobahn Australia