Re: bogomips

On Thu, Dec 16, 1999 at 10:59:18AM +1300, Tim Nicholas wrote:
> > Alberto Maurizi wrote:
> > >         Is this normal? I mean, that so low bogomips value.
> >
> > > model name      : Pentium 60/66
> > > cpu MHz         : 59.999660
> > > bogomips        : 23.91
> >
> > I've got an Intel P133.  Approximating pro rata using your data
> > gives 23.91 / 60 * 133 = 53.  Actual reported value is 53.25
> >
> > So I'd say it looks exactly right.
>
> So mine doesn't make much sence then does it???
>
> this is my /proc/cpuinfo
>

> vendor_id	: AuthenticAMD
> model name	: AMD-K5(tm) Processor
> cpu MHz	: 100.230957
> bogomips	: 199.88

It makes perfect sense, for an AMD-K5.  Bogomips are as their name
implies, bogus.  Bogomips only make sense with respect to one particular
CPU family.  There is a bogomips explanation somewhere out there, in a
FAQ somewhere else, too, no doubt.

--
William Burrow -- New Brunswick, Canada
How the Internet explodes myths...