Re: Problem with g77

On Wed, Dec 15, 1999 at 10:43:12AM -0700, Gary Hennigan wrote:

> I can't help with the build either, but I can make a suggestion. If
> your users are going to be doing any serious fortran development get a
> commercial Fortran compiler like the one from AbSoft or Portland

I've been quite impressed with the Portland Group compilers, although
the version I have does appear to have problems with glibc2.1, and
generate executables that won't run with it (this is a fairly old
version - I can't afford a new one).

> Group. g77 is a great idea, but I think it's still got a ways to go,
> and even when it's finished I don't think they'll support any of the
> legacy, non-standard fortran extensions that are common in older
> fortran code.

g77 isn't that bad - to a large extent it already solves most of the
problem people want it to solve: it runs a reasonable proportion of old
Fortran code (most of what I try works), which is all that most people
really need from it.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/