newbie can't install packages from floppy

What is the proper procedure for installing packages from a floppy? I downloaded them via my NT box (hiss, hiss) at work, but can't seem to read them (dpkg -info, or dpkg --install) when I mount the floppy as type vfat. What additionally puzzles me is that after I get the package I want from the web site, I get a list of ftp sites to get it from, but never get an option for the architecture involved. Don't these packages contain binaries?

TIA,

Darryl