gpm and X

I have two pointing devices, and I like to use them both with X.  I can
do this using gpm with the following command

	gpm -t ps2 -m /dev/psaux -M -t ms -m /dev/ttyS1 -R

and by putting the following lines in the "Pointer" section of
XF86Config:

	Protocol    "MouseSystems"
	Device  "/dev/gpmdata"

It works great.  So what's my problem?  Just that the initscripts
somewhere insist on rewriting XF86Config when I restart the system.

The only reliable way I have found to prevent it from doing this is to
delete "/sbin/buildxconf."  But this is an ugly solution.  Where are the
defaults stored?  I thought I had found them in /etc/devices.  But it
turns out that file gets rewritten too!  Does the system recheck the
hardware on every reboot and write these files in accordance with what
it thinks they should be?  How do I stop it from doing this?

(BTW, I'm using the Corel variant of debian.  So maybe this is a problem
unique to that variant?)

Any help would be appreciated.

Wes