Re: SSH .deb files

On Tue, Dec 14, 1999 at 02:19:35PM +0000, David Wright wrote:
> Quoting Colin Watson (cjw44@cam.ac.uk):
> > glen@gomotech.com (Glen S Mehn) wrote:
> If ssh were non-free, and I were to download it from a site in the US,
> then I would've broken the law, wouldn't I? Whereas, because it's non-US,
> I can't find it on any US site, so I can't accidently break the law.
> Right?

Not quite.  The non-free section is non-free as in speech, not beer, so you
don't have to buy a license for it.

However, you are breaking the law if you attempt to:

1.  Sell it (ssh1)
2.  Make money with it in any way, no matter how indirectly (like
remote-admining a system) (ssh2)
3.  Export it _from_ the US to a country other than Canada or export it
_from_ Canada to a country other than the US if the original source was
inside the US.

> Does OpenSSH not suffer from this problem as well? Does it contain
> strong encryption or not?

OpenSSH contains all the strong encryption of nonfree-ssh except IDEA.  IDEA
is a patented algorythm (Really quite an amazing algorythm actually) but
developed outside the US (International Data Encryption Algorythm) and is in
my opinion more interesting than anything developed in the US.

IDEA (and actually no algorythm) was removed from OpenSSH due to export
restrictions.  There are known ways around that problem.  IDEA was removed
because it is non-free.

But OpenSSH still supports 3DES, Blowfish, RSA (with add-on) and few people
have been stung by the removal of IDEA.

Please see http://www.openssh.com/ for more information.

-Dan

--
"Beware he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams
himself your master."