Re: Re: PAM and Others Problem

Hi Ben, first thank you for the answer. Sometimes I fell I'm alone in the
net, I don't know if you fell the same...

      Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 07:04:54 -0500
      From: Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>
      To: Josep Llauradó Selvas <jls.is@alumne.etse.urv.es>
      Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
      Subject: Re: PAM and Others Problem

      Doesn't appear to me that any of these problems are caused by potato or
      PAM. You have an unchecked fs mounted (maybe even file systemcorruption)
      and tons of kernel errors. What kernel version are you running? Did your
      system crash recently? And why is your date "Jan 14"? Crap, why does it
      say localhost isn't responding?

I send the mail first for the PAM problem. I think it can be for the
potato dist, I'm not sure, but su, gdm and login don't run. The symptoms
are:
	login: Before prompting for the login (writing it and pressing
	enter) I get a "login incorrect" message and I can't write the
	password in any moment

	gdm: If I acces with root gdm tells me that koko (my host name)
	isn't into the /etc/hosts file, but it is on the file!, but start
	the session. If I log using any other user I get a "Unknown PAM Error"
	message in the gdmgreeter and I can log in

	su: When I try to su from root I get a
		su: Unknown Linux-PAM error
		(Ignored)
	but I can change to any user, but when I do the same from any
	other user than root to any other user I get the same message
	without "suing"

My second problem is the neighbour table overflow. All the TCP/IP
connections runs well except the RPC services (getting the
"portmap: localhost not responding" message, that seems to be related
with the neighbour table overflow problem. I'm using the 2.2.12 kernel
two month ago, and I never had any problem with it. My system don't crash
recently, and the only thing I did the Friday was upgrade the old potato
packages using apt-get.

PD: The Jan 14 date is my BIOS clock that don't runs well (I have a K6-200
but the computer tells me I have a 486DX2/66, anyway the Linux detect
correctly the CPU type and speed), and every day the computer counts a
few hours more. I wanna install xntpd to set the clock in the start of the
computer, but I don't know any ntp server accesed publicly (Do you know
anyone?).

I know these problems are a little strange (like a lot of things in the
Computers World), but If anybody can tell me anything related with this
problems, help me please.