Kernel panic during kernel compile?

Ok, I'm having some SERIOUSLY weird issues when trying to compile a
kernel on my SMP machine.  I have a dual PIII-450 with 256 meg of ram
running all SCSI hardware with the 2.2.13 kernel.  Here's the problem.
Sometimes when I trey to compile a kernel with -j 4, it compiles along
until it appears to hit a kernel panic of some kind.  I get this
message:

Unable to handle kernel derefence of pointer at address 000000
<Kernel Dump>
Waiting on processor #0.

And then the entire system hangs, obviously.  When my system hangs
(either this problem or hang in general) everything shuts down.  I can't
even telnet or ssh into my box to kill off X, if that was the problem.
I've been having intermitant hanging problems for a long time, and am
currently checking all my hardware, but this kernel issue has me
stumped.  It only happens when i use a -j 4.  Does anyone know anything
about this or can point me in the right direction for some answers?
Anyone know of any lockup problems with smp machines with the 2.2.x
kernels?  I'd appreciate any help on this as I'm pulling my hair out
trying to solve this locking problem.  TIA.

Rob