Re: Files in /var/lib/dpkg/

    TS> As a side note, never delete the status file by mistake, I did,
    TS> and now I have to reinstall my entire system to get things back
    TS> to normal.  If you are going to do any manipulation or
    TS> modification of these files, make SURE you make backups.  I wish
    TS> I had.

Good advice. Unfortunately, you had to find that out the hard way ;)

On a related note: I once deleted certain .debs in
/var/cache/apt/archives that either hadn't been downloaded fully or
hadn't been configured, sth like that. apt went postal on me after
that. The only way to fix the problem was to "touch" those offending
.debs and apt was able to download them again and go on from there. Not
nearly as dangerous as deleting /var/lib/dpkg/status, though.

Regards,

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com