Is this a bug of hwclock or did I misunderstood the man page?

I tried to adjust the system clock by

[10:24:52 /tmp]# hwclock --hctosys
[09:15:21 /tmp]#
[09:15:27 /tmp]# hwclock --show
Sun Dec 12 09:15:39 1999  -0.396524 seconds

Which is no good because I have the hardware clock set to UTC while I want to
use my local TZ. There for I issued

[09:15:38 /tmp]# hwclock --hctosys --utc
[11:15:48 /tmp]#

which straitened the matter. However, hwclock man claims that if neither --utc
nor --localtime are given on the command line it will use as the first defualt
a string from /etc/adjtime. Yet the appropriate string on my system is set to
UTC.

[11:16:00 /tmp]# cat /etc/adjtime
11.974854 944901540 0.000000
944901540
UTC
[11:16:39 /tmp]#

There for, it seems to me a hwclock bug. Am I right?

BTW: The whole thing of using hwclock and localtime or UTC is rather
confusing. Although it does not seem a simple matter because the hardware
clock does not have a record to which of the 2 it is set + Linux does not want
to interfere with with other OSs business I still wish there would be a more
simple or elegant solution.