VTs gone after X hang

I cannot get a virtual terminal on a slink machine
following an X crash.  Without a terminal I can only
start X remotely now, and ctl-alt-F1 (etc.) crashes
it again.

slink: fairly stock installation (except for below)
kernel-2.3.21
xserver: XF86_SVGA for 3dfx (recent version, downloaded
from developer's site)
(using rtl8139 driver, which was *supposeed* to be clean
in this kernel, but it's been leaving some suspicious error
messages in syslog.)

The system has been rock solid before this.  I don't think
X has ever crashed before in this configuration.
I'm leaving the system up in hope of gleaning more info.

I'm not familiar with the virtual terminals, so any clues,
opinions, or suggestions are appreciated.

Marty Brundage