current status of potato?

I've got a friend who is interested in installing a Linux distro on his
machine (probably a dual-boot with Win98, although he may decide to just
get a different machine).  At any rate, I'd seen some of the threads
regarding the potato boot-floppies and am concerned about whether they
actually work, and to what degree they are broken.  He's definitely going
to want to use X and to make it easier for him to keep up with the more
recent packages I'll recommend potato (rather than slink) to him,
assuming the installation disks are in a usable state.

TIA.  :)