Re: Debian 2.2

On Sat, Dec 11, 1999 at 12:34:33AM -0800, George Bonser was heard to state:
> > Is Debian 2.2 (Potato) stable enough to use it?
>
> I have been using it for almost a year. The thing is that a package might
> cause problems from one day to the next. For what I have, everything is
> working fine except the latest kbd package. Wait a day or so and that
> should be fixed but something else might break in the meantime.

I think one issue is that, if you need to do a long, manual download, it
might be worth waiting. I have potato running on my machine at work, and
do an apt-get ugrade about once a week, and it's always a large
download.

I think, if you are planning on doing it by modem, you're going to have
to do it all over again in a few months when it eventually goes stable.
It's a long (though not terribly painful) process to do more than once.

I have a slink system, which various potato modules (like gnome, glibc,
and a few other bits and pieces not available in slink), and appart from
a few minor glitches (eg., every xterm, gnome-term, Eterm, etc. I open
up from gnome/sawmill has it's current working directory as
~/.gnome-desktop), it works fine. If you only want a few key packages
updated, and you're willing to risk a few minor problems, just update
the stuff you need and see how you go.

Just my $0.02

cheers,

damon

--
Damon Muller (dm-sig6@empire.net.au) /  It's not a sense of humor.
* Criminologist                     /  It's a sense of irony