Re: porn, ads, custom filters for HTTP

Hello,

Onno <Onno@Willem.Alexanderschool.nl> writes:
> The internet server I'm setting up for a school needs
> a filter for porn, ads en maybe some custom sites.
> I'm useing squid at the moment...
>
> Has anyone a solution or suggestion on how to
> solve this problem ?

Have a look at http://www.squid-cache.org/related-software.html
There are quite a few "redirectors" that integrate with squid and
allow you to rewrite URLs. If you have a list of URLs that should be
blocked, you could redirect these to a local page.

You can find lists of ad sites with a search engine (the docs for the
redirector will probably tell you what words to look for). I don't
know if such a list exists for porn sites. AFAIK, these redirectors
can't do content filtering (looking for keywords etc), which might be
more useful here.

Disclaimer: I've never set up such a thing with squid. I do something
like it with wwwoffle, but I only block ads from a few sites that I
visit daily (everything else would have been too much work for me...)

Matthias