IMAP authentication is broken

Hello,

I´m running potato and up to yesterday Wednesday I was happily accessing
my mail from netscape using imapd. But with the latest update I made to
the system imapd always refuses to authenticate my account (however imap
was not updated). From the syslog:

allegro imapd[1330]: AUTHENTICATE LOGIN failure host=allegro

I can login to my machine with no problems and everything else,
including inetd services, is running ok. Someone suggested a PAM-related
problem. If this is the case, how do I trace the problem? any other
suggestions?

I´m running imap 4.7-2

Thank you,

--