Re: /root -> /home/kmfahey; /usr/doc -> /usr/share/doc

Quoting Kerne Fahey (kmfahey@toast.net):

> 1) On my linux box (no other flesh&blood users besides me; it's a laptop),
> I'm interested in emptying root's home directory, removing it, and making
> a symbolic link to my home directory, /home/kmfahey . This is for various
> aesthetic and convenience reasons, mostly so I'm not without my .*rc files
> when root, and so that 'cd' as root takes me to my home directory. Would this
> be a horrible mistake? (Would it be or create a security hole, or *really*
> confuse linux in some way?)

It won't confuse linux (as long as /home/kmfahey is in the same partition
as /root) but it might confuse you. Why do you want to make logging in as
root indistinguishable from logging in as yourself? Is this an indication
that you spend too much time and do too many things as root?

I keep /root as sparse as possible, with a few scripts that are needed to
work around a problem, or to set up, say, spool files for a new printer.
Nothing else. And a very sparse .profile/.bashrc.

> 2) On that same linux box, I'm interested in [carefully] moving the contents
> of /usr/doc to /usr/share/doc , then removing /usr/doc and creating a symlink
> in its place to /usr/share/doc . This, also, is for various aesthetic and
> convenience reasons, mostly because of the FHS, and because I'd really like
> dhelp_parse to shut up about files in /usr/doc every time I'm apt-getting
> something. Would .this. be a horrible mistake?

Yes. Those files don't belong to you but to the packages on your system.

Cheers,