Re: E-mail (POP) not working

This smells suspiciously like a permissions (tcpd) problem. Check /var/log/daemon.log.
If tcpd is the problem then there should be a line like:

Dec  8 18:11:53 chilin qpopper[28923]: refused connect from X.X.X.X

Also of course have a look at /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny to see how things
are configured there.