Apache local cgi-bin

I have been installing Apache on a potato based system.
I cant get cgi-scripts working, I want the local users to have their
cgiscripts in /home/user/public_html/cgi-bin/
At first a link to the *.cgi program, just outputed the source of the perl
program, then after a while i changed something in srm.conf so now i
displays internal server error when trying to run the script instead, the
something i changed was something that allowed .cgi scripts to run from
anywhere, the perl script works just fine no programming errors there

what steps should i take to configure apache to allow cgi-scripts

/nisse