Re: Finding left-over libraries

*- On  7 Dec, peter karlsson wrote about "Finding left-over libraries"
> Is there any way in Debian to find out what packages no other packages
> depend on?
>
> When I install a couple of packages, all the libraries they depend on are
> installed as well, which is quite nice, but the reverse doesn't hold - when
> I remove packages, unnecessary libraries are not removed. Because of this, I
> would like to get a list of packages that no packages depend on (restricted,
> for instance, to packages starting with lib).

Unforunately there is no way to do this cleanly now.  There has been/is
active discussion on this very subject on the the -devel list.  One of
the issues to be concerned with is on a machine used for development
where nothing directly depends on a lib*-dev package except at build
time when you need to link to the headers.

There is a Debian package called cruft that can do some system searching
and can give you a very rough idea of file usage.

Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you
Purdue University                   |  have walked a mile in their shoes,
servis@purdue.edu                   |  because by that time you will be a
http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis   |  mile away and have their shoes.