Re: Simultaneous multiple CD burning

On Tue, Dec 07, 1999 at 05:32:14PM -0500, Paul McHale wrote:
> > Is it possible to start several processes virtually
> > simultaneously?
> >

> I don't see why not so long as the targets are different devices.

They are: 0,2,0 through 0,5,0.

> > I'm attempting to write four CDs simultaneously, using four Yamaha
> > 6416 CD-RWs attached to an Adaptec 2940 SCSI card (reading from an
> > IDE hard disk, though). If I use:
>
> I suspect you may not have enough CPU.

Really? It's a PIII-450 system.

> I know the write rate is pretty low for CDs, but I would try to
> reduce the write speed to 1x and try to run 2 simultaneously.

On reflection, the first time I tried a write it worked with two
drives simultaneously... maybe this is the problem.

> Unless you have an insidiously slow system, this should work.
> If it doesn't, suspect problems with running multiple copies.

I emailed the author of cdrdao, who was very helpful. He has
successfully burned to three devices at once.

> > Is there any reason why this shouldn't work in principle? Is
> > there something else I'm missing?
>
> I am assuming one copy works ...

Yes; this is how the system is currently running.

Thanks for your input, it might solve the problem. I'll go check
it out.

Regards,
--
alisdair mcdiarmid                            alisdair@wasters.org