su authentication failure

Hola~

I finally took the plunge and pointed apt-get on to the unstable packages. So
far, no major problems, wahoo. I am getting some weirdness, tho. When I run
su, now, I get:

    % su
    Password:
    su: Authentication failure
    Sorry.

Which I wouldn't expect with a root definition in /etc/passwd of:

    % grep root /etc/passwd
    root::0:0:root:/root:/usr/bin/tcsh

I've got the following version of login:

    ii  login           19990827-10    System login tools

Why would su be acting this way??? I used to have version 980403-0.3
installed, and I did not have this problem.

MO

--

Michael O'Brien
mikeo@sgi.com                                                 Alias|Wavefront

At Microsoft, we always feel we can improve on a standard.
               -Dale Rogerson, _Inside COM_