64Mb memory problem (only 16Mb is seen by the kernel)

Hai,

I have been working with debian 2.1 for almost one year
now in a productive environent and I'm real happy with it!
(running samba/qpopper/roxen http server/imp (web
mail)/sendmail/ and some other stuff).
In my new PC at home I have 64Mb of memory but only 16Mb
is seen by the kernel. I alreadu tried 'append="mem=64Mb"
in my lilo.conf file but then my system craches (havy) after
several minutes, a reboot will give me a kernel panic
at boot time (first time I have seen one!)
My PowerEdge 1300 with 128Mb RAM has no problem with it.

What could be the problem?
(kernel 2.0.36)

Regards,
Ries van Twisk