Re: NE2500 NIC

Phil Brutsche said:
> Hrm... A quick grep through the kernel source indicates that this card
> uses the AMD PCnet (aka lance) chipset.  The driver is lance.o.  What
> specific problems are you having with this card?

During installation, I haven't been able to come up with a parameter string
which will successfully install the lance.o module.  It invariably responds,
"Device or resource busy.  Installation failed."

> You might want to try some fairly radical ways of figuring out what this
> mystery card is.  It's one of the few things Windows 9x is good for

If I'm going to try that, this is certainly the right time to do it...

> (the
> other two are wasting time and playing computer games.  However, some
> might say those two are indistinguishable).

There are many ways to waste time, playing games is just one of the best of
them.

> Could the DOS program tell you what the IRQ & I/O settings are?  Based on
> my (admittedly limited) experience with this chipset, they don't use
> jumpers, but still aren't PnP.

Nope.  On startup, it displays default values of I/O 0x200, IRQ 3, DMA 7.  To
change them, you have to first turn off PnP support.  (I tried feeding those
values to lance.o even though IRQ 3 should belong to COM1.  Naturally, they
failed.)

> On that thought, AMD's web site might be of some help.

Why AMD?  The docs from the NE2500s only mention Microdyne and Eagle.  (Of
course, I've had them for a few years...  I suppose AMD may have bought that
line out...)

--
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+ !K
w---$ O M- !V PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv- b++ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+