Re: Questions

On Sat, Dec 04, 1999 at 11:09:35PM -0800, Andy Thomas wrote
> The mouse isn't coming up in XWindows.  I've never seen it in text Emacs
> before either so should it be there?  I've got a MSFT Bus mouse on IRQ4.
> The gpm is set to /dev/inportbm and the busmouse type.  Still it doesn't
> seem to work.  Is there a configuration file where it could accidentally be
> set to IRQ 3?

The first thing you should do is be *very*sure* that you have an InPort bus
mouse - they are quite rare nowadays.  It would almost certainly have its
own expansion card and a mini-DIN connector about 1cm across with 9 pins,
and it probably has "InPort(TM) Mouse" on the label on the underside.  If
your mouse has a smaller connector with 5 pins, it's probably actually a
PS/2 mouse (regardless of who made it), and uses /dev/psaux and the psaux
module.

The scond thing you should do is ensure that your BusMouse has an IRQ that
is not already in use by another device: both IRQ 4 & 3 are normally used
(by ttyS0 and ttyS1 (COM1 and COM2) respectively), and cannot (under Linux)
be shared with a bus mouse.  If you do have an InPort mouse, the expansion
card should have a jumper on it to select the IRQ; the ones I've seen allow
you to choose IRQ 5, which is probably free.

> Under win95, the ISP has me disable DNS under TCP/IP in the network setup.
> I've not yet connected using LINUX, but during a previous Debian I came
> "the closest"  out of all of the versions attempted.  The ISP's one Linux
> dude said Debian was the most seemless PPP setup.
>
> I've followed the ppp-howto under Redhat (which didn't work) but am
> wondering about pppconfig under Debian.
>
> Under the current installation, pppconfig asked about DNS setup and I gave
> it a couple of numbers reluctantly provided by my ISP.  When the
> configuration was done and I attempted to connect, it the modem hung on
> login with a loud squealing.  I can try again and give the contents of
> /var/log/messages if that would help.

If you have an IRQ conflict, it could well be causing you connection
problems; I'd get your mouse sorted out first, to ensure you're not
conflating two problems.

Good luck,

John P.
--