Re: Broken web browsing

> > My problem is that I can't get any web browsers to work.  I use wvdial
> > to connect to MindSpring and the ppp connection seems fine.  I can use
> > telnet, ssh and ftp to connect to sites on the internet.  My resolv.conf
> > seems to work fine and I can use "nslookup" to find the IP addresses of
> > any site.
> >
> > I just can't get "http:" to work.  I've tried using Netscape, kfm, lynx
> > and wget and they all fail.  Netscape, for example, will wait for a
> > long time and eventually come back with "document contains no data".
>
> I'm having a problem like this, except the only thing broken is
> netscape's domain name service.  can do all things netty except
> 'netscape www.blah.com'.  Did you ever find a solution?

No, I still haven't found a solution.  The machine is a 486 with only
32MB and I suspect that it's just not enough.  With the age of the
machine, I'm not sure it's worth investing any more money into it,
at least not until I'm *sure* that's the problem.

Do you have apache installed on your machine?  Can netscape browse the
local machine?  Mine can.  Have you tried lynx?  The only thing I've
managed to get lynx to do is non-interactive stuff like:

  lynx -dump http://blah > blah.html

I *can* telnet to port 80 on websites and get data from them.

rgds-- TA  (tallard@frb.gov)
I don't speak for the Federal Reserve Board, it doesn't speak for me.