Re: How to apply stylesheets to docbook?

On Sun, 5 Dec 1999, Aaron Van Couwenberghe wrote:

> Hi all -
>
>   I have been trying to figure out how to make something useful out of
> docbook documents. I'd like to render to pdf, latex, groff, and html, but
> available documentation is archaic and conflicting.
>
> Where do I start? I'd previously been trying with jade, but I caught wind
> that sgml-tools gained support for docbook 3.1. This doesn't appear to be
> true...
>
> Executing sgml2latex on a minimal document:
>
>  ..~/docs$ sgml2latex DB-article.sgml
> Processing file DB-article.sgml
> /usr/bin/sgmlsasp: can't open
> /usr/lib/sgml-tools/dist/article/latex2e/mapping': No such file or directory
>
> Executing jade on the same minimal document:
>
>  ..~/docs$ jade -t tex DB-article.sgml -d
> /usr/lib/sgml/stylesheet/dsssl/docbook/nwalsh/print/docbook.dsl -o
> DB-article.tex
> [about 500 lines of errors follow]
>
> Even norm walsh's book doesn't offer any help here. Ideas anyone? ;)

Aaron,

	I cant tell you how to get things working with the sgml-tools
package. I can tell you that I've recently got things to work with the
sgmltools2 package from potato. Note that the apt-get install of
sgmltools2 fails unless you remove the existing sgml-tools package (I've
filed a bug report).

	With sgmltools2, the formats suppported are html, ps, dvi, rtf,
txt, ld2db, and jadetex. The man page claims that passing of options to
jade is also possible, but I havent tried this. The Docbook 3.1 DTD is
definitely supported as I am writing using that DTD.

	You might also try http://www.debian.org/~bortz/SGML-HOWTO/

Regards,
Jor-el

"Ain't that something what happened today.  One of us got traded to
Kansas City."
		-- Casey Stengel, informing outfielder Bob Cerv he'd
		   been traded.