Re: "Get a Potato CD"

On 5/12/99 Rob Mahurin wrote:

Can't help you with finding one, but there's a caveat:  I think the
reason that the potato release date got pushed back was the
installer's broken (or nonexistent or something.  I'm wrong a lot).
Get a bare-bones (ie, bootable and aptable) slink installation and
just use your potato CD when you get it for its packages.

I downloaded the boot floppies and base tarball and installed potato just fine, there is nothing wrong with the boot floppies. (at least there was not when i tried them a month or so ago)

the thing with the boot floppies is they want more features in them before potato is released, the floppies i tried were just like slink boot floppies except looking for the potato base and with a potato kernel.

i did not try CDs though, i just installed the drivers from 3 floppies, and the base from NFS the rest over 56K modem (yuk! :)

but that went waaaaay better then trying (multiple times) to upgrade a fresh from CD install of slink to potato, every time i ended up with a broken system (i did get a halfway working system but i started over again after needing to repartition). the problems were mostly do to some dependency problems and potato packaged broken in that they were unable to upgrade their slink counterparts, emacs is of the worst offenders. these may be fixed by now it has been about 2 months since my slink -> potato attempts.

--
Ethan Benson
To obtain my PGP key: http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/pgp/