Re: An open letter to the debian community

I think you bring up many problems and issues that debian has.  but
i don't think any of these issues haven't been the issue of a flame
war sometime or another.

debian is based upon the ideal that free software should be available
without sticky licensing issues so that you could do just what you're
talking about: a fork of debian with all that nice non-free software.

i disagree with your assessment that the debian community doesn't want
beginner to use the software.  there is movement  towards centralizing
config (dconfig) and providing a easier interface for admin (apt and
associated apt frontends) and users (gnome and i believe kde will get
in there sooner or later; see the interview w/ Wichert [1]).

debian does carry a certain attitude that we need to hold the software
that we place in "main" debian to a higher ideal, but i think the
debian community does this without scacrificing your freedom to do what
you want and that you'd feel would better.

i think an interesting solutions to your problem might be some sort of
companion cd to debian that would provide all the non-free stuff so
that installing without a fast connection won't be such a nightmare.

me, i'll stick with debian as it is.  just my $0.02

herbert

[1] http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=99/12/03/099221&mode=thread