Re: An open letter to the debian community

On Sun, 5 Dec 1999, David Blackman wrote:

[ snip uninformed ranting ]

 : 	I'm going to get flamed for this. I know it. We don't want to
 : think we're techno-snobs. We want to think our distribution is
 : superior. We want to leave out KDE. We don't want Joe Blow to start
 : with Debian, if he's not man enough to face up to Debian, he can go
 : buy, ("Ha! Buy!", we Debian snobs say) Red Hat.

The non-free section exists because the LICENSE of the software in
question does not allow free distribution without clauses which make
inclusion on CD or other media problematic.  Other software are not
included at all because the LICENSE does not allow it (early versions of
Netscape, KDE, etc.)

Seems to me Corel's doing a good job with adding the slick install and
hand-holding that some people want - it's true that Debian doesn't
provide much hand-holding.  Remember, the software is free, clues are
not.

Feel free to fork your own Debian version, but make sure you READ the
LICENSES and understand what's really going on so you don't get sued.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD