trapped in an xdm loop?

I'm in the process of setting up an old 486 with Debian Linux
(slink) and I seemed to be trapped in X Windows. When I type
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace it just restarts xdm with the login and
Password prompt. Typing a login and password doesn't help because
I get a blank blue screen and the mouse doesn't work. Pressing
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace at this point also throws me back into the xdm
login/Password prompt. I tried restarting the system and it boots
into this login/Password prompt. I tried typing Ctrl+C while it
was listing all the things it was doing and could not stop it
from running xdm. I tried booting from the boot floppy I made and
it said "boot failed". I can boot off the Rescue floppy but I
don't know what to type at the prompt to get to a point where I
can edit my config files so it won't start xdm at boot. FYI, this
happened when I was trying to get my mouse to work and I saw an
archived message from this list that said try "xdm stop" so I
tried that and now I'm in this loop.

Thanks for any help,
Nancy

--
©Nancy McGough         http://www.ii.com/         Infinite Ink
--= Sent via PINE 4.21: Internet News & Email for Win/Unix =--