Device drivers on installation

This message was sent from Geocrawler.com by "Howard Mann" <howardm@xmission.com>
Be sure to reply to that address.

Hi,

I am going to install Debian from a CD using my
ATAPI/IDE CD-ROM. I am switching from Red Hat.

In the ``Configure Device Driver Modules''
section of the installation instructions, there
is the following:

"You don't have to configure all your devices at
this point; what is crucial is that any device
configuration required for the installation of
the base system is done here...This includes
ethernet drivers"

Thus, I will configure support/modules for my
Ethernet card. ( I will use the eth interface
soon after installation to get other packages
from Internet servers using apt-get) I do not
need a module for my CD-ROM per se. Do I need to
stipulate module support for the iso9660 file
system during this step?

What other modules _will_ I need to configure at
this point? I know I can configure others after
installation using "modconf."

Using Red Hat, module support for many devices,
file systems etc. is configured by default in the
stock kernel that comes with a particular
version. I can determine this by perusing
a "defconfig" file in the sources directory.These
modules are loaded as necessary by the kerneld
daemon.

How do I determine this for Debian ? For
example,will I have to subsequently configure
module support for dos/fat/vfat to read my
Windows partition?

I hope my questions make sense. I am confused
about this aspect of the installation process vs
that for Red Hat.

Thanks,

Howard Mann.

Geocrawler.com - The Knowledge Archive